Shop for Authentic Autographed Packers Collectibles at SportsMemorabilia.com

Monday, May 10, 2010

Blue or Red?

When I was designing my own championship tracks on Excitebike and dominating the Breakers, Eagles, and Ox with the Boston Frogs on Double Dribble, I was pretty sure that video games had reached the pinnacle of their advancement. You couldn’t have convinced me otherwise. Years later, I played the single greatest video game ever: Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98 for the Nintendo 64, and I was again convinced that video games couldn’t get any better. For the most part, I’ve been correct.

However, I have started watching Netflix movies on my Wii. Now, I know the Wii isn’t as cool as the PS3 or Xbox360, but I prefer this to this. Anyway, it’s not a video game advancement, so much as a console advancement, but I was supremely happy about it. I could browse through tons of movies and TV shows without moving from my couch. I may be late to the party, but that’s my M.O. for most things, and I am now, once again, convinced that video games are complete.

Technology advancement is indeed a blessing…but also a curse as I soon realized while watching a documentary through my Wii about how most humans are actually just serving as power sources for a race of machines. A small group of freedom fighters living under the earth’s surface are fighting the machines both in the real world, and in a computer program created to simulate the earth as it existed in the later portion of the 20th Century. Heavy stuff, but apparently, I can’t tell you about this, as you have to see it for yourself.

What? You’re kidding me. The Matrix isn’t a documentary? So, I have to go work on Monday, and can’t just play vids? Sigh…okay.

Watching The Matrix again, a small part stood out, and it related to the Packers, specifically BJ Raji. You know the part where Neo receives his initial training and says, “I know kung fu”? Morpheus then enters The Construct, and Neo proves he can beat him, and then the The Jump Training is loaded which is designed to “free your mind”. Whoa.

Then little exchange occurs:

Mouse: “So, what if he makes it?”
Apoc: “No one ever makes their first jump.”
Mouse: “I know, I know. But what if he does?”
Apoc: “He won't.”

Neo faceplants.

Mouse: “Wha...what does that mean?”
Switch: “It doesn't mean anything.”
Cypher: “Everybody falls the first time. Right, Trin?”

So back to Raji...I’ve heard some complaints about BJ Raji after last season. How he didn’t contribute like a 9th overall pick should. How he didn’t have 20 sacks, 12 batted balls, and 70 tackles while demanding triple teams like everyone was promised. Will Raji bust? Will he not be the beast everyone expected? What does this mean?

It doesn’t mean anything. Everybody falls. The fact that he saw the field in his first year after injuries, holdouts, etc. and showed flashes of dominance late in the season is an encouraging sign. The only thing that can happen is he gets better, so keep the faith.

After all, even The One fell his first time.

Tracy White Fact of the Day: Tracy White knows there is no spoon…but he eats with it anyway.

11 comments:

  1. The correlations are too many to be mere coincidence. I too felt like Switch when our version of Cypher betrayed us to Agent Smith (Brad Childress).

    Switch, “Not like this. Not like this.”

    Far be it for me to quibble with the Ranter’s TWFOTD, but Tracy White has never used a spoon. He prefers his meals on the run, and sweating with fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...sorry, Sid, but you are mistaken on that fact. That is not how Tracy White prefers his meals, it is how Ben Rothlisberger prefers his first dates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys. . . .I'm down.May 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM

    Ben likes 'em trapped in a club bathroom, but yea the fearsweat thing is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering where you were going with this post..Does this mean Raji will be able to fly by his third season?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reread it, PPGJ, and I was wondering where I was going for awhile, but then I got to the point. Regardless of the meandering nature of the post, WG3DH98 is seriously the greatest video game ever.

    re: flying Raji....as the Oracle says: "..being the one is just like being in love. No one needs to tell you you are in love, you just know it, through and through."

    He knows it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. During my WG3DH98 days, I could bring out the ambulance with regularity. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are to be congratulated Greenfield. That and assists are the true measure of honor and effectiveness on WG3DH98. There are some who claim that goals alone are the measure of a man. But really how hard is it to camp out in front of the goal while the rest of your team plays D-fence, checks the other team off the ice and feeds you the puck after drawing the goalie's attention to the far side of the net. No, such play, while padding the stats, never quite amounts to greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iggy Pop = best player in the game

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hands down, D. Hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always preferred Paul Careera. Not as strong, but fast as lightning.

    Hey, Oats, as a good friend of mine frequently said: "I'm down...I'm down...I'm down...guys, I'm down."

    To which I finally replied, "Still don't care."

    Chicks. Dig. Goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are nuts! For a south american myself, the greatest game ever made was International Superstar Soccer DELUXE!, with narration in spanish! Ah, to be able to turn the ref into a small dog, and run away from him when he's trying to give you a yellow card! Priceless...

    ReplyDelete

Google requires us to state we use third-party advertising, who may use information (not including your name, address, email, or phone) about your visits to provide ads of possible interest. For more information or to opt out, click here.
To contact us or to advertise, email packerranter {at} yahoo.com