Shop for Authentic Autographed Packers Collectibles at SportsMemorabilia.com

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How to Make Money on the Internet

An amazing thing happened yesterday. In between the pesky bills and peskier junk mail stood out a large square envelope with an unfamiliar return address. I knew it was probably one of two things: my membership to The International Federation of Trekkers (IFT) Star Trek Fan Club had arrived or the board at the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association had finally come around to my repeated requests to judge this year’s World Champion Cheese Contest.

As it turns out, it was even better – a check from Google (yes, that Google) in the amount of $108.47… ladies and gentlemen, the Ranter has officially hit the bigtime!

Now this check was literally the result of hundreds of people clicking ads on the Ranter but in the bigger picture, the check represented two years, 170 (original/sweet) Rants and hundreds of hours of brainstorming and writing by Franklin Hillside and myself. All in all, that averages out to just over .60 cents per Rant and/or mere pennies per hour.

And it’s the hardest money I’ve ever had to earn in my life. Bar none. So much that I don’t know whether we should cash the check and party or just frame and admire it.

With seemingly such little rewards, a lot of people have asked me if it’s worth it (well, no one has yet, but play along anyway). Blogging is not easy, my friends. It takes dedication, consistency and passion. Obviously, you will get paid little if any (seriously, most five-year-olds make multiple times more on allowance and quarters from grandma alone). And it can be a serious chore at times (just ask Alex). But if you can keep plugging away and have fun doing it, it is a rewarding experience. Oh yeah, be sure to be cool to your fellow bloggers, too. It’s a community, after all.

So while those ads that appear around the site may seem annoying or out of place at times, please keep in mind it is likely the only way we’ll ever get a bone thrown our way for what we do. To us, it’s worth it.

To all the wonderful Packer people around the world (seriously, they're everywhere) who make the Ranter part of their interwebs browsings, thank you and keep coming back. And hey, while you’re at it, maybe you’ll click on an ad or two! Just kidding, but not really.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats. I have seen one of those since September 2008.

    It's a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really connect that you guys actually get paid on that stuff. I knew you did, and that was in the back of my head, but it never clicked in my brain to click the links. I'll help you guys out going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's how the whole Google Adsense program works. Wish there was a better way, but for now, it'll have to do.

    Thanks a bunch, Graham!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do it for the love of the Green and Gold, not love of the green. That said, I'll take $100 worth of Spotted Cow at a tailgate party anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And who can honestly say they don't want to know more about Green Bay Zubaz? Those be some quality advertisements, I tell you what!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly SHIT! that's a lot of SCHLITZ. I hear the call of the north woods in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just clicked 14 times. That's gotta be worth a dollar right? It's my way of saying thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Max. You've now been tagged by The Packer Ranter and will receive targeted offers of bulk sauerkraut and beef jerky.

    Just kidding...but, seriously, it's really good sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Photo copy it during work at the library so it doesn't cost you anything, frame that and then party.

    ReplyDelete

Google requires us to state we use third-party advertising, who may use information (not including your name, address, email, or phone) about your visits to provide ads of possible interest. For more information or to opt out, click here.
To contact us or to advertise, email packerranter {at} yahoo.com