Shop for Authentic Autographed Packers Collectibles at SportsMemorabilia.com

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

1929: A Year to Remember

This Sunday the Packers will trot out their 1929 throwback uniforms, and I, for one, am incredibly excited. The 1929 jerseys will be worn to commemorate the franchise's first championship season. Seems like a good enough reason to me. By the way, any talk of jerseys always sends me running to The Green Bay Packers Uniform Database. "90 years of looking good while playing well" HELL. YEAH. Important tip: set aside some time to get lost in the awesomeness, and the blog is a must-read too.

After staring at the beautiful navy, yellow, and tan for longer than I care to admit, I realized that other than the stock market crash putting a screeching halt to the Roaring '20's, I didn't know much about the year 1929. So, I decided to hop in the hot tub, and check it out. Actually, I just headed over to the lazy man's World Book and took a look. Yes, yes, I know that I work in a library with countless volumes of historic information, but 1) plumbers don't like to play in their own toilets when they are done for the day and 2) LAZY.

So according to this venerable internet historian some really fascinating things happened in 1929...you know, other than the Packers first championship):

  • Canadian women were invented: If you've ever known any Canadian dames (in the parlance of the times), this is a fantastic thing.
  • A German airship flew around the world in 21 days: Up yours, Jules Verne.
  • On December 3rd, Herbert Hoover announced that Americans had regained faith in the American economy: I've heard a couple presidents say that recently, the more things change...
  • Popeye the Sailor Man first appeared: Spinach shortages worldwide were reported.
  • That mustached bastard Stalin booted out Leon Trotsky: Soviet Collectivism was born. "I'll trade you one Lenin rookie card, for three Great Breakthrough cards" Not that kind of collectivism? Oh.
Perhaps the greatest of all events that occurred in 1929, other than Bob Newhart being born of course, is the first demonstration of the COLOR TV! That's right, H.E. Ives broadcast color images between New York and Washington. The rest, as they say is history, and Sunday afternoons have never been the same...well, maybe it took a few years for Sundays to change, but you get my point.

Therefore, to me at least, Sunday's throwback jersey will not only commemorate the first Packers championship, but also the beauty and glory that is the color TV. The color TV that allows me to watch the Packers in green and gold.

....of course it won't really matter, since Robert and I will be at the game watching in living color. So Sunday, enjoy your color TVs, and be glad you're seeing navy, yellow, and brown and not shades of black and white.

4 comments:

  1. If you're going to be at Lambeau, you should really watch the game, not re-runs of In Living Color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can multi-task, Max.

    Update: According to Conan O'Brien tonight, Bingo was also invented on this date in 1929...seriously, the year 1929 keeps getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant ChuckerbuttyDecember 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM

    As a God-fearing American, it is your patriotic duty to see things in black and white.
    Though Keenen, Damon, Kim, Shawn, Marlon and Dwayne Wayans were an interesting diversion; black and white, right and wrong, up and down, cats and dogs are the only way to go.
    If you want color move to France. I'd particularly suggest a lazy Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just a dumb American so some of these commentators (see above) confuse me. Now I got drunk and watched Hot Tub Time Machine once and thought to myself...If ever had the chance to soak in the tub with my buddies and go back in time it wouldn't be to the crap 80's. It would be to 1929 and I wouldn't change a thing. If not a tub I guess I'd take the DeLorean but not that stupid Beta version one, I'll take the one you don't need roads for and runs on bananas and eggshells.

    ReplyDelete

Google requires us to state we use third-party advertising, who may use information (not including your name, address, email, or phone) about your visits to provide ads of possible interest. For more information or to opt out, click here.
To contact us or to advertise, email packerranter {at} yahoo.com