Shop for Authentic Autographed Packers Collectibles at SportsMemorabilia.com

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Birds of a Feather

I haven’t given the latest Favre nonsense much thought, not real high on my priority list to be completely honest. To be sure, everyone has an opinion and I am no different: Fade away, man, fade away. Certainly didn’t take me longer than 5 minutes to reach that conclusion. However, it took me a full hour to find a parallel individual that has walked/is walking the similarly strange path that Favre is on. I didn’t actively do this, in fact, it was about as passive as it could be in the sense that I was in my living room while the TV was on VH1. Don’t judge me. Anyway, after Rock of Love: Floor of Motel 6 was on, VH1 Behind the Music came on. Too lazy to change the channel, I just left it on and went back to reading this. Gradually, I started being pulled away from the book to the train wreck that was developing on the TV. Behind the Music: Whitney Houston. As I began paying more attention, it became apparent that it is a strange version of deja vu. Laugh if you want, but the similarities between Whitney Houston and Brett Favre are numerous….and sad.
  • Both have reached the pinnacles of their respective careers garnering multiple awards and accolades
  • Both have been media darlings throughout most of their careers, often having their shortcomings glossed over, until recently
  • Both have had brief acting careers, Houston with Dances with Nuke LaLoosh and Favre with Derek Zoolander
  • Both reached their peak in the mid-to-late 90s, both being two of the most recognizable and adored people in their respective fields
  • Both have battled drug problems, one slightly more than the other
  • Both tend to cry when placed in front of a camera
  • Both surround themselves with family and hangers-on who have an incredibly negative impact on their lives, decisions, etc., but, hey, that’s their prerogative
  • Both are becoming increasing irrelevant, and finding it hard to take
  • And last but not least, both are absolutely crazy at this point...

I guess not entirely last, both make me wish I hadn't spent any of my existence thinking about the aforementioned similarities. {Sigh}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google requires us to state we use third-party advertising, who may use information (not including your name, address, email, or phone) about your visits to provide ads of possible interest. For more information or to opt out, click here.
To contact us or to advertise, email packerranter {at} yahoo.com